I needed a new one for my brother's wedding. I couldn't find any that I loved and so decided to make my own. I started with Simplicity pattern 2497 ...and then made lots of adjustments... combined sleeved and ruffled versions of the dress, lengthened the skirt, raised the neckline and extended the ruffle to the waist. I don't sew clothes for myself very much and was pleased at how it turned out. I recommend this pattern (on sale today at JoAnn's for $1) but would cut a size bigger than you usually wear, and adjust from there.
My favorite details were these perfectly puffed, cap sleeves and the hidden zipper down the side... you can just barely see the zipper pull there in the armpit.
It was such a busy night, combined with the constant chasing of kids... the photo above is the only one I have of me wearing it. On the hanger you just don't get the same effect. I'm hoping my sister has a few on her camera.
The ruffle around the neck is only attached to the dress to the bottom of the neckline and then the end dangles like a necklace. I tried it a couple of ways and thought this was the most flattering as I moved in the dress.
Another detail that doesn't show are the perfectly placed pockets, also hidden along the side seam. They don't add bulk to the hips, but are at a flattering position when you put a hand in one on your hip.
Two of my daughters were flower girls and while I thought of making their dresses too I decided against it when I found these that were less expensive than what it would cost to buy the fabric.