Monday, December 6, 2010

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

The elves and I have been busy doing little projects to make it look more like Christmas around here. I tried to get creative with some things I had in my stash. I had these three textured paper cones that we painted with a white, pearly paint and covered with white glitter. They looked a little plain still, so we turned over these thimble flower pots and they made a pretty base.

My table runner is a green felt runner with snowmen on it that had a black underside, so I flipped that over and we placed a few glittery paper snowflakes around the trees. Finally I found this black and white small-checked fabric that I hemmed to make into a table cloth... it looks grey in my pictures.


I'd wanted to do some kind of fun advent for the kids to countdown to Christmas... one that had all the activities I wanted to be sure to do with them this month. I had this fruit-loop colored garland that my my was getting rid of from her stash, so again I enlisted the help of my elves and a few neighborhood elves to paint the fruit silver. We had a lot of fun, and I even liked the sloppy result with some of the color – more muted – showing through. To cut the snowflakes I had my dad cut them on his Craft Robo (better known as Silhouette). Yep, he has one for cutting labels and stuff for his business and I've been wanting to try it. Aren't they pretty? Each snowflake has an activity, like baking cookies, driving around to look at Christmas lights, reading a new Christmas book, and service ideas on the back... one a day until Christmas Eve.

I've done most of my Christmas shopping online and am determined to fill this holiday season with more good memories with my family, and making sure they know how I feel about the reason for the season – the birth of Christ.

2 comments:

Beth Adams said...

These look great! Awesome job. I would love for you to stop by Wiccan Make Some Too's Wickedly Crafty Saturdays & share this!
http://wiccanmakesometoo.blogspot.com/2010/12/wickedly-crafty-saturdays-3.html

Maya Kuzman said...

Love this project - has a special charm, and must say those snowflakes are amazing!